Society for Engineering & Management Systems (SEMS) Best Student Paper Competition
The SEMS student paper competition recognizes the academic work of students that demonstrates or describes the use of techniques that improve productivity and quality through effective and economical managerial techniques and philosophies. Both undergraduate and graduate students are invited to submit papers.
Student winners must present their papers in the ISERC Engineering Management Track at the IISE Annual Conference & Expo, May 20-23, 2017 in Pittsburgh. Lead authors of first, second and third winning papers will receive a certificate. The first place winner will be included in the IISE Honors & Awards Program and will be announced on Tuesday before the keynote address. In addition, the first place winner will be on the scrolling PowerPoint Monday and Tuesday morning as people enter the ballroom for the keynote speakers.
We believe that participating in the 2016 SEMS Student Paper Competition is a wonderful way to kick off the professional or academic careers of students!
- The applicant must be a full-time student at the time of submission.
- The paper must present original research results.
- The research must have been conducted while the applicant was a student.
- The paper must not have won or been considered for an award in another competition.
- At least one author must be an IISE member and present the paper at the IISE Annual Conference & Expo.
- Winning papers will appear on the SEMS website.
- Authors will be asked to sign an ethics statement stating that they are full-time students and that the research and writing is their own work.
- Advising by a non-student is allowed, such as an academic or industry advisor. However, only students can be authors or co-authors.
Abstract submission: Nov. 22
Full paper submission deadline: Jan. 30, 2017
Notification of winners to IISE: March 4, 2017
The winner will be notified by March 9, 2017
Submission Form and Ethics Statement
Please include the submission form and Ethics Statement in your submission package in an electronic format to the committee chair, Pilar Pazos-Lago. Papers will be blind-reviewed. To this end, do not include any author information in the draft paper submission. Papers must follow the below formatting guidelines. Use the paper template when preparing the manuscript.
Word doc Paper Template | Latex Paper Template
The winning papers will be published in the ISERC proceedings. Up to three awards may be given upon recommendation of the SEMS selection committee. As this is a student competition, papers co-authored by professors are excluded from the competition, but your professor's assistance is welcome.
The first place winner only, will be officially announced before the Tuesday morning keynote address and be included in the IISE Honors & Awards Program.
Shuchisnigdha Deb, Brandon Warner, Sushil Poudel and Suyogya Bhandari
Mississippi State University
"Identification of External Design Preferences in Autonomous Vehicles"
Heather Keathley, Fernando Gonzalez Aleu, Kyra Vila, Kai Ye, Andrew Bean and Tianxiang Chen
"Bibliometric Analysis of Research Design Characteristics in Engineering Management Research"
Musa Demirtas, Mohammad Dehghanimohammadabadi and Nima Ahmadi
Western New England University
"Highlighting the Main Factors of Internet Banking via Multiple Criteria Decision Analysis"
For more information, contact Bonnie Cameron or call (800) 494-0460, ext. 105.